The Legal Operations Specialist is a member of the Legal Department with responsibility for designing and implementing strategic, practical, and effective solutions and improvements across VEIC. This is a generalist role that involves managing and supporting projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal team. The Legal Operations Specialist works with every department at VEIC, advising and assisting directly with respect to their legal and contract operations, as well as providing entrepreneurial, pragmatic, business-oriented advice. This position exercises evaluative thinking and independent judgment in responding to internal inquiries and requests for information as well as assisting with requests from vendors, contractors, advisors, and other external parties. This position may reside in one of our 3 office locations- Winooski Vermont, Washington DC, and Columbus OH.
• Serve as primary systems administrator for all legal systems and tools. Identify and implement legal department tools or processes to streamline new or existing practices, as well as manage design, rollout, and training for new system and legal operations processes including VEIC’s contract management system, e-signature tools, contracting metrics and reporting, fiscal and signature authority, legal operations for new hires and employee matters.
• Report and advise on key operational and substantive metrics for the legal department that will better inform decision-making
• Develop and enforce processes and policies to manage outside counsel usage and spend
• Assist with budget matters and optimizing work allocation within the legal department
• Create and maintain documentation for legal operations and processes, including the contract management system and other areas of legal advice such as insurance, litigation, and intellectual property.
• Perform other duties as assigned or required by the Associate General Counsel or General Counsel.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
Insurance: Coordinating with Legal Manager on insurance renewal processes for corporate insurance, as well as assisting with operational implementation of insurance requirements for both internal and external parties and programs
Litigation: Assist VEIC’s Legal Department with litigation matters (including internal investigations, documentation gathering and coordination with internal teams involved)
Proposal Review: Assist VEIC’s Legal Department in reviewing potential clients’ terms and conditions
• Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent with at least five (5) years working experience within a legal, finance, or contract management function
• Experience with and comfortable learning administration of software tools (contract management, e-signature, project management) that support internal processes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to independently move projects forward by gaining support needed from others while working in a cross-functional role
• Proven track record of collaborating with cross-functional groups (eg. Finance, HR, IT) to set objectives and produce meaningful results
• Possession of working understanding of contract management concepts, with good research and investigative skills.
• Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records, files, and reports.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Internal - Work is normally performed in climate-controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
External - No travel is required.
Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT:
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you’ll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.